Saturday, June 14, 2008

Best quesadillas in the world....

Tonight I proved once again that girls rule when it comes to grilling up tasty grub. My most recent grilling triumph is a recipe from my Real Grilling cookbook by Jaime Purviance, from which I have made many delicious meaty recipes, and it has not let me down yet.

I wanted to try something a little different as I have tried just abut every variation of marinated chicken breast and dry rubbed steak that I can get my hands on...so I tried this quesadilla recipe and it did not disappoint.


Grilled Chicken & Red Onion Quesadillas

Paste/Marinade:

2 large garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper stem removed
....(or stem, ribs & seeds removed if you are not into the spicy)
1 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
( I used white wine vinegar because that's all I had)
1 tsp. sea or kosher salt
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp.freshly ground black pepper

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large red onion cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
4 10-inch flour tortillas

1. In a food processor, mince the garlic & jalapeno, then add all remaining paste ingredients and process until smooth. Coat the chicken breasts on all sides and cover & refridgerate for 3-4 hours.

then...

2. Lightly brush the onion slices with olive oil. Grill the chicken and onions over direct medium heat until the onions are tender and the chicken is opaque in the center; 8-12 minutes, turning once. Remove the chicken and onions from the grill and allow to cool. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/8-inch slices and the onions into 1/4-inch pieces.

3. Evenly divide the chicken, onions and cheese over half of each tortilla. Fold the tortillas over the filling and press down firmly. Grill the quesadillas over direct low to medium heat until well marked and the cheese has melted, 3-5 minutes, turning once.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I served ours with Mexican rice, salsa and sour cream. I ate so much I feel sick...which I guess is the best sign of a really good recipe, since usually, I like to cook much more than I like to eat. I better go check on the hubby because I think he may have lapsed into a quesadilla-induced coma over there on the couch.


Enjoy!

No comments: